© Copyright 2009-2010 LearnAtTheBeach.com
Klipsan Beach Life Saving Station–Local Lesson Plans for Guests
Grades: Adaptable for K-12
Subject: Lewis and Clark in the Pacific Northwest
Objective: Learn what challenges the Pacific Coast presented to Lewis and Clark during their winter stay, and how they overcame them.
1. Visit the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Ilwaco. Find out why Clark visited the Peninsula and what he found here. Click here for the Center’s Web site.
2. Complete the Booklet of Discovery’s Lewis and Clark Scavenger hunt. Booklet can be downloaded here, or picked up at the Long Beach Visitors Center when available.
3. Walk the Lewis and Clark Trail, observing signs and monuments along the way.
4. Visit with a direct descendant of Lewis or Clark (Your hosts can help arrange this.)
5. Play the Lewis and Clark game (available in upstairs unit).*
6. Visit Astoria’s Fort Clatsop.*
7. Visit the salt works on the Oregon Coast.*
8. Visit the Astoria column and observe the Lewis and Clark mural.*
*Requires a drive to the Oregon coast, about 40 minutes to an hour away.
Read one or more of the following books, depending on grade level. All are available in the upstairs unit, starred ones in downstairs unit.
(List coming soon)
Click here to return to “Lesson Plans”.